VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
wiring help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparko
Astra Messiah
Astra Messiah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: wiring help Reply with quote

Sooo there were a few lives tapped from other lives to rub things like the cd player and cigarette lighter etc and it all looked like a fire waiting to happen.

I have ripped out a load of shoddy wiring and now want to properly and safely wire in some accessories. Lives will be needed for the following:

fuel pump
switch live for ecu
fog lamps
cd player
cb radio

Now i bought this:

Im my brain that doesnt understand electrics i was thinking i would run a live from the battery to the main live bolt on this and then use all the tabs for accessories etc. Now i am thinking there should maybe some sort of relay or something somewhere in between the battery and the splitter??

I dont understand electrical stuff so any help would be appreciated! After a bit of reading i understand that fogs will deffo need a relay but that will be elsewhere and the switch wire will only need to run through this junction point.

Soooo any thoughts? Big ball of fire without a relay or fuse before the splitter that has individual fuses or is it all good because all of the different terminals are fused anyway??

Thanks!!!

Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the car electrics ! !
Relays diodes fuses ! ! ! !
Especially relays ! !

Fist THIS SITE
http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm
MUST BE YOUR TEACHER !

Now this thing you have bought is very smart ! ! !
Please tell me the specifications of it ! Maximum amperage for 12 volt (14.4 in fact...) > Give me this info and i will make all things clear !

Sparko
Astra Messiah
Astra Messiah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad you like car electrics because i hate them ha ha!

Rating:
6v, 12v 24v, 32 volts MAX
Input: 100 Amp max per box
Output: 30 Amp max per circuit

smile

Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all ! Tell me what you want to feed .
I would suggest :
low and light beam h4 ( 2X 55W + 2X 60W )
Fogs Front h3 (2X 55W )

The Astra mk1 used only 3 relays !
lights, fan rads ,horns etc have not been feed through a relay and this is NOT good ! I had all these using a relay but the only thing that really needs a relay is the rad fan ! Especially if you have installed a better one a bigger one ( Greece has HOT climate..)

Again http://www.bcae1.com/ is perfect for teaching you all you need ...

Things you must have
Solder Iron , multimeter , thermoplastic wire sleeves, crimps, wire ( has to do with total- partial current draw ) and some other minor staff.

The whole idea is to have the shortest path for the high current .
Lets say for the headlights the on dash switch must activate the relay acts as a high amperage switch . Thick wires with minimum resistance good solid connectors good earth wires and the appropriate fuse will make your head light extremely brighter. All electrical pats which have been feeded with current through a relay (well made) work better and effectively.
Study the website above and do not hesitate to ask what you need !

DeadEye
Astra Legend
Astra Legend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm... CB?

And this is why, my GTE restoration thread: http://www.mk1oc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16119
Dimpas
Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadEye wrote:
Erm... CB?

What CB stands for ?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cb

???

Ash
Space Kadett
<font color=#FF8000>Space Kadett</font>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Band Radio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View user's gallery MSN Messenger
DeadEye
Astra Legend
Astra Legend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly very 80's, it's all very well having a CB but you need someone else to have one too! laughing

And this is why, my GTE restoration thread: http://www.mk1oc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16119
Sparko
Astra Messiah
Astra Messiah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadEye wrote:
Erm... CB?

Yea probably needs an explanation lol. We are driving around europe for 2 weeks. 2 cars in convoy so rather than shouting out of windows or using handhelds we are rocking some oldschool cb's! Should have better range than handhelds when im broken down in the alps because i forgot to do up a bolt in the engine swap lol

Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparko ! Have you understood what a relay does ? And why it is so essential to have relays all around...
You have bought this thing ! This is a power distribution fuse block ! BUT you have chosen to buy the one with the small (mini) fuses! It would be better to have one that takes ordinary fuses (like astra mk1 does) so not to carry differrent types of fuses and to be more flexible when replacing fuses.

And of course you MUST have a BIG fuse ( again you must calculated for maximum amperage) between battery and distribution block !

Anything else... ?

mark1
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadEye wrote:
Exactly very 80's, it's all very well having a CB but you need someone else to have one too! laughing

I have a CB in my gold GTE big grin laughing

Astra Messiah
Astra Messiah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimpas wrote:
Sparko ! Have you understood what a relay does ? And why it is so essential to have relays all around...
You have bought this thing ! This is a power distribution fuse block ! BUT you have chosen to buy the one with the small (mini) fuses! It would be better to have one that takes ordinary fuses (like astra mk1 does) so not to carry differrent types of fuses and to be more flexible when replacing fuses.

And of course you MUST have a BIG fuse ( again you must calculated for maximum amperage) between battery and distribution block !

Anything else... ?

Thanks for the help smile

Yea the fuse size is what I need to figure out. Want to make sure i do it properly so it doesnt end in a ball of fire lol

Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend for the reasons i stated above to give it back and buy the other one with the standard ( Regular ) fuse size ! not the mini one ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_%28automotive%29

I would prefer this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Sea-Systems-12-Circuit-Blade-Fuse-Block-With-Cover-k4s19-136-5029-/281302658950?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item417ef1ef86&vxp=mtr

It is a GOOD product ! The connections are screwed not just push type,it is suitable for marine use much better plastic quality.

Now the big size fuse should be at about 80 amps . The power distribution block you have is rated 100 Total amps and the fuse should be lower for safety reasons....
On the other hand your ligths main beam are 55+55=110 Watts
You can calculate the amperage if you divide it with 12Volts 110/12= 9.1 Ampere. This means that when your main beam is on it consumes 9.1 Ampers. So to be safe use a 10 or 15 Amp fuse.
With this rule you can calculate the Amperage for each fuse BUT the total amperage should not be more than 80 Amps (main beam+high beam+fogs+radio+CB+ etc )....

I would use it for the Rad fan too...

At any of these parts you must install a relay too !
So you need to buy 3-4-5-6 ( as many as you need) bosh automotive realy with a standart Normaly Open 30 Amps 12 Volts relays like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-of-10-GENUINE-BOSCH-4-PIN-40-AMP-RELAY-0332019110-MADE-IN-GERMANY-NEW-/321693369618?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ae66b4512

And some bases like these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Quality-BOSCH-Relay-Base-Holder-and-Mount-for-4-5-Pin-Relays-/130873525992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e78ab86e8

Be careful there are 2 types of relays ( there are MANY...) not to be confused
The standard one is the one with pins 85-86 opposite and 30-87 opposite. Buy these !
Some relays have 87a contact but you do not these relays (normally closed contact)...

Cables... You need thick cables... lets say cables that withstand 20 Amperes of 12Volt DC

http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

I would recomment 6AWG cables from distribution block to relays to parts and from parts to earth !
DO NOT FORGETT the EARTH Cable from parts to chassis... you must change it too !

The wire size from battery to distribution block should be 0 or 00 AWG there you must find an appropriate spade like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tinned-Copper-Cable-Lugs-Ring-Terminals-AWG-Welding-Battery-Marine-Cable-Wire-/281416288048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4185b7c730

The bonus tip is to make NEW POWER CABLES from Alternator-Starter-Battery and NEW POEWER CABLES from Battery to EARTH and ALTERNATOR to EARTH. These wires should be 000AWG with GOOD spade connectors and soldered.
Do not forget to sand the connection area with a hard sand paper so there are no resistance in contact point !

If you have any other question just ask !

I love car electronics...

Sparko
Astra Messiah
Astra Messiah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow very comprehensive! Thank you!!
I will draw up what I need then maybe run it past you to make sure I am right!

Thanks again thumleft

Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am here to share with you ( all of you ) what i have learned ...

Do not Hesitate to contact me !

i can make you a full electric wire diagram if you tell me what you have to feed and how much watts is each part ...

Love to make things work !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: