VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
What month/year was the Astra Mk1 released please?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_Kadett
Astra Legend
Astra Legend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my opel kadett was registered on the 15/04/1981 theres 10 numbers in the chassis number.
Mark1GTE
wee mark
<font color=#FF8000>wee mark</font>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTEstate wrote:
my estate is a V reg from dec 79 Very Happy it HAD two towing eyes but lobbed one off to fit new front end lol,

and mine only has 8 or 10 digits on vin plate and floor too Shocked does anyone else only have 8-10?

yeah my kadett did aswell
Mark1GTE
wee mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allvaux wrote:
Thanks for the info fellas. Anyone know how many saloons (as opposed to hatchbacks) were made? I only recall seeing two, both recently on another forum iirc and perhaps one really mint one that used to live locally. Also is there a way of telling whether German or English made?
Thanks and regards, sorry for all the questions.

yes there is but if it`s a saloon it is deffo german no saloons were ever built at ellesmere as vauxhall decided not to tool ellesmere to make them and discontinued the saloon model when they started production of the mk1 in the uk and also discontinued the 1.2 engine aswell i`m sure but i can check on that

pm me your full chassis number and i will tell you what plant built it but i know it is deffo german by your date of registration but i`ll narrow that down for you to the exact plant as the chassis number has a plant identification code in it and i have the list here

front vin plate may also say made in W germany but i can`t remember if my kadett did so don`t quote me on this Confused but i have seen it on my gte`s vin plate
Mark1GTE
wee mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mk1 astra timeline

a wee bit of mk1 build history, a bit geekish i know but might interest someone seeing as this is what this thread has been about

the mk1 astra was vauxhalls first ever production front wheel drive car,opels version was the kadett D

gets a wee bit confusing but to simplify things to start with opel had dealerships in the u.k separate from vauxhall dealerships and were rivals although both under ownership of parent company gm,until the 1981 merger of dealers sorted out the sales war

the mk1 astra was launched on nov 9th 1979 at the scottish motor show in the kelvin hall,glasgow in 1300 5dr hatch and 5dr estate form only on show, both models at the show to replace the viva and some versions of the chevette

on the same day as opel were one step ahead as usual in the vauxhall/opel war the kadett went on general sale,astra`s were not ready for sale until feb 1980

oct 1980 1.2 engine astra`s launched

all models including astra`s prior to 16th november 1981 were built in germany by opel but badged astra and shipped over i.e kadetts and astra`s built in same plant

astra production started at ellesmere port on november 16th 1981 tooling capacity for 18 cars an hour or 720 a week

december 1981 1600cc engine launched ( 1.2 possibly discontinued will check )

end of 1981 2dr and 4dr saloon production ceased on astra,kadett may have continued 3dr,5dr hatches and estates continue ( all the saloons were german built )

late 1981 rationalization of vauxhall/opel takes place kadett sales withdrawn from the u.k in favour of astra`s ( decision taken during a meeting of dealers at the nec in 1981 to resolve rivalry war ) on the motorsport side of things dealer team vauxhall ( dtv ) and dealer opel team ( dot ) merge also in 1981 to become gm dealer sport,some vauxhall models dropped in favour of better specced opel cousins to be sold through vauxhall showrooms for example manta,monza etc kept,viceroy,royale,kadett etc dropped in u.k showrooms

summer 1982 1.6 diesel engine models launched

15th sep 1982 1600cc sr model launched

april 21st 1983 astra gte launched very early models built in germany ( bochum then russelsheim plant ) until tooling was in place at ellesmere port

later registered cars may exist on all models that ceased but this will be due to late registrations after selling off stock these are production dates

colours available were

polar white
black
china blue
reed green
parchment
jamaica yellow
mocca brown
henna red
carmine red
light blue metallic
sapphire blue metallic
silver green metallic
olivine green metallic
antique gold metallic
astro silver metallic

info believed correct compiled from various locations i have found for example transport source book,contacts at vauxhall,vboa,brochures,dealer press packs i have etc
Allvaux
Astra Newbie
Astra Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V33TRA, that's brilliant, thanks. I actually like finding stuff like that out mate so not geekish in my eyes!
I've owned a china blue estate in the past and a little belter of a reed green 5 door hatch. The hatch was a real bargain find a few years back now. Advertised on a supermarket wall that a relative worked at, it had no MOT or tax but only two owners iirc and very tidy aside from one door bottom. Bought it for about £40, took it for a test and it failed only on one rear bulb! It turned out to be a bad earth (very quickly and easily rectified) and I had a couple of months brilliant service out of it (and made a good job out of sorting the door bottom) before selling it to a mate's dad who got years out of it and loved it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: