VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
why is my engine not running right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MK1minx
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: why is my engine not running right? Reply with quote

The 18e is in the minx and runs fine when idling but when I'm driving it, it is a little lumpy and underpowered (feeels like it's running on 3 cyl). I've rebuilt the head, cleaned all the bottomend/block, put all new gaskets, belts, plugs, ht leads, dizzy cap, etc. could it be the timing (or whatever you call it) of the dizzy?
I've tried taking HT leads off when it is ticking over to check if it is only running on 3, but the note of the engine changes when I discon. each lead. So I guess it's firing on all four. If it is the dizzy what do I need and how do I ajust it properly?

Ash
Space Kadett
<font color=#FF8000>Space Kadett</font>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a timing gun on the bottom pully. If it has the original mark on the dizzy put it back to that and start from there.

It could also be the fuel regulator, a blocked fuel filter or the coil pack to name three. Hope that helps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View user's gallery MSN Messenger
rip
Astra Craftsman
Astra Craftsman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coil pack? That implies a wasted spark ignition system (which I don't recall the 1.8 having) & would affect 2 cylinders, not just 1.
Incorrect ignition timing should make the engine flat, not lumpy.

I assume you have not replaced the fuel injection unit with carbs? This is multipoint & you've not mentioned injectors. Worth a look?
warphi1970
Events Organiser
<font color=#33CC00>Events Organiser</font>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rip wrote:
Coil pack? That implies a wasted spark ignition system (which I don't recall the 1.8 having) & would affect 2 cylinders, not just 1.
Incorrect ignition timing should make the engine flat, not lumpy.

I assume you have not replaced the fuel injection unit with carbs? This is multipoint & you've not mentioned injectors. Worth a look?

i agree to some extent but a knackered injector would show up at all revs, however if the fuel pump or rail regulator are suspect then you get problems at higher revs as you run out of pressure to force fuel through injector, this can manifest as being lumpy and lack of power, as its hit and miss what the pressure is at point of injector fireing.

MK1minx
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice lads. It has had a new fuel pump and filter and the fuel is all fresh and new, I've tried two different (used) coils. My fuel regulator (is this the thing mounted next to the fuel pump?) is a bit mancky looking. Are you meant to be able to blow through it easily? Coz I can. so you have two regulators? one by pump and one on rail?
I was getting so pissed off with the car today and I'm so close to being able to drive it, I booked it into my local garage for an mot and for them to have a look at it. I'm a little disappointed admitting defeat because I wanted to do all the work myself and I know the garage is gonna charge me and I didn't want to spend any more money on the engine knowing I got the xe sitting there in the garage. I just wanna play mad
I took it for a spin up the road again today and it got me wondering if part of the problem is, 1.8 GTE's just aren't as fast as I remember. My daily car is a 02 1.8 vvti 140 bhp celica (which I dont consider to be that fast). Thanks again for all the advice.

matt
<font color=#33CC00>Moderator</font>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the reg on the fuel pump, it should be a specific way round not sure which?

But should have some resistance when blown the right way.

Aim Low, Reach Your Goals and Avoid Disappointment
View user's profile Send private message View user's gallery Visit poster's website
MK1minx
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers matt, I'll take the one of my mk2 and give it a try. failing that I'll order a new one off e-bay. Am I right in thinking I need a 3 bar one with 8mm unions?
matt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a standard XE then 2.5bar one will do as well

View user's profile Send private message View user's gallery Visit poster's website
MK1minx
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it's a 18e standard. will putting a 3 bar be bad?
matt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always thought that the 1.8 had either a 2 bar or 2.5 bar reg?

I could be wrong but it might be best to find out what the right one should be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: